North Barracks Parade Ground and Layout
This area was dominated by the main parade ground. In addition to drill and other training, this was occasionally opened to the public for such activities as the ceremony of Trooping the Colour, several royal visit parades and the traditional Depot floodlit tattoos.
The parade ground featured an impressive flagstaff identical to that in front of the former Officers’ Mess in South Barracks. On the closure of North Barracks, the flagstaff was moved to the Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club at the north end of Deal.
Above: Drum Major Bowden leading the Massed Bands of Her Majesty’s Royal Marines on the parade ground in North Barracks in 1964; the Bands were rehearsing for beating retreat on Horse Guards Parade in London to mark the 300th birthday of the Corps
Another important feature of North Barracks was the spacious drill shed on the far side of the parade ground and the new Accommodation Block. This featured two large Globe and Laurel badges in stone and was opened by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in 1956. One of these can now be found in the Memorial Garden and the other as a Gate Guardian at the Parochial School in Deal.
As you approach the junction with Canada Road, the Motor Transport Section and Administration Buildings were on the right and on the left were the Churchill Club (a social centre for junior ranks often open to invited guests), the Boiler Room and the former Guardroom.
Trail Directions: Continue along Ardent Avenue to the junction of Canada Road and turn right to the Community Garden on the right marking the site of the Royal Marines Globe Theatre.