North Barracks Residents Memorial
At the south-west corner of this garden you will find a memorial erected on 28th October 2014 by the new residents of the former North Barracks site, commemorating the 350th birthday of the Corps. It also serves as tribute to the eleven Royal Marine Musicians who were murdered in the Deal bombing by the Provisional IRA in North Barracks on 22nd September 1989.
Whilst walking through this part of the North Barracks housing development, note the street names that highlight Royal Navy shipping losses in the Falklands War in 1982, during which the Royal Marines played a major role. HMS Ardent (left), HMS Sheffield (centre) and HMS Coventry (right) are commemorated in this way.
Trail Directions: Leave the memorial via the small path into Ardent Avenue and continue in this direction.
The Depot Royal Marines, Deal closed in 1977, the initial training of both adult and junior recruits destined for the Commandos having been transferred to Lympstone. During the Depot’s presence in Deal from 1861, 554,554 recruits passed through Basic Training.
41 Commando Royal Marines moved into the Barracks in 1977 but was disbanded in 1981. This left the Royal Marines School of Music as the sole occupant of the entire Barracks complex.
Trail Directions: Continue along Ardent Avenue and stop at the junction with Sheffield Gardens to consider the size of North Barracks.