Depot Church of St Michael and All Angels
The former Depot Church of St Michael and All Angels has now been converted to private housing. The church was consecrated in 1907 and replaced the original Chapel School building in North Barracks, so called because of its dual purpose of being a school on weekdays and a Church on Sundays.
The Depot Church, capable of holding 1,000 worshippers, is of the same design as the naval churches in Chatham, Eastney and Keyham.
The foundation stone was laid in 1905 by Lord George Hamilton GCSI, PC, JP, Captain of Deal Castle (1899–1923) and a former First Lord of the Admiralty (1885–1892). A casket containing coins, a copy of The Times and a record of the event was sealed in the stonework. The Church contained a magnificent lectern, which is now at the Downs (Church of England) Primary School in Walmer.
Trail Directions: Continue to the Pavilion and former Drill Field (now Deal and Betteshanger Rugby Club) and cross the field to the gate onto Cornwall Road.